Sr. OSP Officer, Supervisor
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 34253
This position may be considered for partial or full remote work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement, with the potential need to come to campus for meetings on occasion. While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working in person at a UCSC worksite.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-03-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Office of Sponsored Projects is responsible for soliciting and accepting contracts and grants for research and other sponsored projects on behalf of The Regents of The University of California. OSP works with campus research faculty to prepare budgets, insure compliance with UC Policy and sponsor guidelines, and signs off on the final submission. At award stage, OSP reviews terms and conditions in order to comply with UC Policy, negotiating with the sponsor when needed, and accepts on behalf of The Regents of the University of California.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP), this position directly supervises a team of 3-5 Research Administrators responsible for coordinating, preparing, reviewing and submitting research proposals according to established policies and management guidance. Reviews applicable terms and conditions in order to assess risk and acceptability/compliance within University policies. Provides and promotes excellent customer service, identifying and implementing best practices for continued advancement. Plays a key role within OSP's leadership team.
Acts as liaison between the University and sponsoring agencies. Provides oversight and guidance to ensure terms and conditions are compliant with UC Policy or applicable internal processes. Identifies and analyzes problems, formulates options, and coordinates resolution of policy and process and related issues within. Is responsible for reviewing, and submitting sponsored projects proposals to a wide variety of sources which include Federal, Non-Profit and/or other funding sources. Provides guidance and expertise on complex proposals and awards that may involve multiple investigators and/or multiple subawards. Ensures the proper commitment of University resources. Stays up to date on current UC and Federal policies in sponsored research administration. Recommends changes to department policies and practices as needed in order to assure compliance with UC Policy and Uniform Guidance. Independently exercises sound judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Provides priority setting and work flow analysis.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $99,000 - $110,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus - Kerr Hall
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 006216 (CONTRACTS AND GRANTS SUPV 2)
Travel: Never or Rarely
- Conducts comprehensive and in-depth analysis of incoming proposals to determine the extent of campus resource commitments, completeness of proposal and budget, and conformity of proposal to University and sponsor regulations, policies, and requirements. Includes coordinating with other administrative units (IRB, IACUC, Tech Transfer/IP Management, etc.) to ensure compliance.
- Supervises direct reports, providing training and professional development, either formally or on-the-job, for staff to ensure subject matter knowledge in appropriate areas (e.g., proposal submission, sponsored project administration, post-award administration, etc.). Provides workflow analysis and revises direct reports work assignments as needed to ensure an even distribution of work.
- Prepares, review and submits extramurally funded proposals; reviews and accepts sponsor awards on behalf of the University. Identifies and mitigates related risk in accordance with established practices.
- Participates in the development and monitoring of policies and procedures for department or department operations. Stays up to date on current UC and Federal policies in sponsored project administration.
- Delivers specialized training and / or develops content for education workshops in the area of research administration.
- Assesses workload and staffing requirements, recommends hiring of new employees, salary actions, terminations, and determines performance ratings.
- Other special projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree in science, law, business or related field and/ or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Working knowledge of contracts and grants transactions and applicable financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Proficiency in use of common desktop / web applications.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply sponsor, institutional and departmental policies. Knowledge of current compliance regulations in all areas of research administration.
- Ability to manage high volume and complex transactions.
- Thorough knowledge of policy standards in the solicitation, acceptance or executions, and administration of awards from extramural sponsors within a research university.
- Proven knowledge and ability to perform review of complex funding/contract solicitations including Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, and customer service orientation.
- Excellent decision-making, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems and use good judgement on when to escalate issues for resolution.
- Ability to independently prioritize work and thrive in a busy and deadline driven work environment which requires flexibility in order to successfully meet required deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state laws, regulations, and policies related to research administration.
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Excellent written communication skills, including ability to construct complex legal language as well as construct persuasive correspondence to convey information in a clear, organized, and concise manner.
- Advanced degree in science, business admistration or equivalent professional field.
- Demonstrated advanced competence in the use of spreadsheet and database software.
- Experience in research administration within the UC system.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- This position may be considered for partial or full remote work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement, with the potential need to come to campus for meetings on occasion. While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working in person at a UCSC worksite.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency