Senior Research Accountant
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 61268
This position may be considered for 100% remote work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement, with the potential need to come to campus for meetings on occasion.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the Applicant Resources on our Talent Acquisition website.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant's behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, view this link.
The IRD for this job is: 11-27-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Under the leadership of the Vice Chancellor for Research, the Office of Research has primary responsibility for research policy, planning and administration of the UC Santa Cruz Research enterprise. The Office of Research (OR) supports the research community through five units: the Office of Sponsored Projects, Research Development, the Office of Research Compliance Administration, the Innovation & Business Engagement HUB and the Office of Research Business & Operations
Reporting to the Director for Business and Operations for the Office of Research (OR), the senior research accountant has responsibility for managing contracts and grants and state-funded research budgets that are awarded directly to OR. Additionally, the position will provide financial analysis and auditing of research budgets outside of OR, will provide financial reports for research unit reviews and may develop or conduct trainings to other campus research accountants.
The senior research accountant uses advanced contracts and grants concepts to manage the accounting for highly complex research programs. They will be responsible for the review of financial and administrative management requirements of research contract and grant proposals, awards and / or transactions to ensure compliance with institutional and sponsor policies. They will work independently to assess complex grant, contract and subcontract transactions where analysis requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors such as multiple funding sources, cross-divisional and multi-campus activities. The accountant will be responsible for determining the appropriate method and for managing the distribution of funds to other campus units, to other UC campuses, and to external research partners. The accountant will serve as a technical specialist for cross-divisional research, accounting of Organized Research Units (ORUs), and state-funded research. This position will work with others to create training materials and/or provide trainings on areas of specialty. They will also be called upon to conduct financial analyses or audits, at the direction of campus leadership. This position is eligible for delegated authority.
Budgeted Salary: $99,060 - $110,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus. This position may be considered for 100% remote work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement, with the potential need to come to campus for meetings on occasion.
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 006207 (RSCH ADM 4)
Travel: Never or Rarely
50% - Research Accounting
- Leads the organization, planning, establishment and monitoring of fiscal budget control of contracts and grants administration, budgets, support documents, gifts, endowments, state funds and privately funded projects for projects managed or supported by the Office of Research.
- Prepares, reviews and / or approves financial transactions.
- Administers, in coordination with central and divisional administrators, the administrative and financial aspects of complex, awarded projects with broad impact. Ensures complete and accurate collection of research management administration data at all stages of the contract and grant or state fund life cycle. Independently oversees award reporting and closeout. Administratively reviews complex grant or contract proposals budgets and awards, obtains / verifies necessary compliance approvals.
40% - Financial Analysis and Guidance
- Provides highly complex projections, analyses and recommendations for projects managed by OR and as requested by campus leadership.
- Independently gathers information as needed to perform financial analysis.
- Conducts financial analyses or audits as directed by senior staff and leadership. Prepares financial analysis of research unit budgets as part of annual and five-year review processes.
- Provides guidance and counsel on a wide variety of highly complex research administration matters to principal investigators, senior departmental administrators and less experienced department staff.
- Supports campus reporting requirements, as part of a team, for the Agriculture Experiment Station.
10% - Expertise and Training
- Maintains professional relationships with sponsor representatives including UCOP, state sponsors, UC Santa Cruz Government Relations Office to maintain current expertise and learn of new requirements.
- Delivers specialized training and / or develops content for education workshops in specialized areas of research administration, roles, responsibilities and best practices.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience and/or training.
- Extensive knowledge of program administration guidelines of Federal and non-Federal sponsors supporting research and educational activities, preferably in a university environment.
- Ability to manage high volume and complex financial transactions.
- Ability to perform highly complex financial analysis and customized reporting.
- Demonstrated advanced competence in the use of spreadsheet and database software in financial analysis, fiscal management and financial reports.
- Ability to maintain independent judgment.
- Effective organizational skills.
- Effective verbal communication skills.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Customer service skills.
- Maintains knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply sponsor, institutional and divisional policies. Knowledge of current compliance regulations in all areas of research administration.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of generally accepted accounting, fiscal and reporting principles.
- Experience with all types of award mechanisms, including grants, contracts, subcontracts, and cooperative agreements.
- Full knowledge of Federal Acquisition Regulation, Code of Federal Regulations, sponsor-specific policies, intellectual property policy, conflict of interest requirements, publication rights, application of indirect cost rates and other complex concepts in research administration.
- Ability to create training materials and provide training related to research accountant roles and responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to interpret informational requests, determine appropriate analytical methods and provide narrative summary of results.
- Experience with financial and administrative systems used by the University of California (FIS Banner, Peoplesoft, Infoview)
- Experience with USDA Agricultural Experiment Station (AES) reporting requirements.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- The selected candidate has the option to work a hybrid work schedule. If a hybrid work schedule is confirmed, the selected candidate must be able to work successfully from a home/remote office and be able to fulfill the requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California vaccine program.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency