- Grants Officer
- Go to our website »
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 51844
This position may be considered for partial or full remote work, subject to the terms of a telecommuting agreement, with the potential need to come to campus for meetings on occasion. While telecommuting/remote working, the employee is responsible for ensuring a worksite environment suitable for accomplishing their regular job duties during scheduled hours of work and, if applicable, arranging for dependent care just as they would if they were working in person at a UCSC worksite.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-08-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) is responsible for soliciting and accepting contracts and grants for research and other sponsored projects on behalf of The Regents of The University of California. OSP works with campus research faculty to prepare budgets, ensure compliance with UC Policy and sponsor guidelines, and signs on the final submission. At award stage OSP reviews terms and conditions for compliance with UC Policy, negotiating with the sponsor when needed, and accepts on behalf of The Regents of the University of California.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of the Office of Sponsored Projects, this position uses skills as a seasoned, experienced research administrator to independently develop and/or oversee research proposals, awards and/or transactions related to contract and grant management and maintains contract and grant records in compliance with institutional research sponsor policies. Works on awards of diverse scope where analysis of data requires thorough understanding of complex regulations. Is responsible for reviewing and accepting sponsored projects awards from a wide variety of sources which include Federal, Non-profit, State and/or other funding sources. Ensures award terms are in compliance with UC Policy. Has designated authority to solicit and accept sponsored projects on behalf of the University. Acts on behalf of the campus to review, accept and manage complex awards that may involve non-standard terms, multiple investigators, multiple subawards. Typically works on research agreements such as grants/contracts with a moderate to high level of risk or complexity. Acts as a liaison between the University and sponsoring agencies. Ensures the proper commitment of University resources and coordinates compliance with aspects of special review (Human Subjects, Animal Subjects, Financial Conflict of Interest, etc.). Stays up to date on UC and Federal Policies in sponsored research. Independently exercises sound judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action. Identifies risks and responds accordingly. Guides less experienced staff.
Budgeted Salary: $74,000 - $84,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus. This position may be considered for partial or full remote work.
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 006206 (RSCH ADM 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
- Applies contracts and grants concepts to review complex grant or contract proposals and obtain/verify necessary compliance approvals, and recommend/negotiate needed changes to proposals with PIs and/or department administrators. Administers executed awards actions in accordance with established processes.
- Provides post-award guidance to departmental award managers related to agreement terms and conditions and sponsor requirements, and UC Policy in contract and grant management.
- Provides guidance and counsel on research administration matters, including compliance regulations, to principal investigators.
- Supports preparation of complex proposal budgets and support documents as required by proposal guidelines.
- Provides guidance, support and training to less experienced staff.
- Previews pre-award update information requested by sponsor representatives before issue of awards and submission.
- Other special projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience and / or training.
- Thorough understanding of research administration guidelines of Federal and non-Federal sponsors supporting research and educational activities, preferably in a university environment.
- Ability to manage significant volume of transactions.
- Ability to maintain independent judgment and a customer service focus across a diverse and broad subject area.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Maintains current knowledge of compliance regulations in all areas of research administration.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state laws, regulations, and policies related to research administration.
- Working knowledge of contracts and grants transactions and applicable financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Proficiency in use of common desktop/web applications.
- Experience, knowledge of, and ability to interpret and apply sponsor, institutional and departmental policies.
- Experience negotiating, accepting and/or managing research contracts in compliance with university or institution policies.
- Excellent and effective oral communication skills.
- Excellent written communication with the ability to convey information in a clear, organized, and concise manner. Ability to write persuasive correspondence.
- Experience, knowledge, and ability to perform review of complex funding/grant solicitations including Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and to analyze and negotiate complex conditions of resulting awards/grant agreements in relation to receipt of University funding from extramural sponsors.
- Competence in the use of spreadsheet and database software in financial analysis, fiscal management and financial reports.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, fiscal and reporting principles.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Will be required to work a hybrid work schedule, days of the week and number of days to be determined, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency